CAMP BUTLER, Okinawa --
U.S. Marines and sailors of the 3d Marine Expeditionary Brigade and Commander, Task Force 76 are participating in Exercise Ssang Yong with Marines and sailors of the Republic of Korea in the vicinity of Pohang, Republic of Korea, March 27 - April 4, 2014.
The combined force will consist of approximately 13,000 total personnel including U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Navy, ROK Marine Corps and ROK Navy personnel. Approximately 20 ROK and U.S. Navy ships and more than 55 U.S. Marine aircraft are scheduled to support the amphibious landings.
The full scale of this year's Ssang Yong is greater than any other in the past, proving the Navy and Marine Corps' ability to conduct the full spectrum of a combined arms, amphibious landing operations in cooperation with our Korean partners.
Ssang Yong 14 is an annual combined exercise conducted by Marine and Navy Forces with the ROK in order to strengthen our interoperability and working relationships across the range of military operations - from disaster relief to complex, expeditionary operations.
During the exercise there will be multiple events to which media are invited to attend.
The following events are open to the media:
- 29 March (Dogu Beach): Amphibious Landing Rehearsal Day. The landings at this location will consist of mostly U.S. Marine forces. Interview opportunities with senior leadership.
- 31 March (Dokseok-ri Beach): Amphibious Landing D-Day. The landings at this location will consist of mostly ROK Marine forces. Interview opportunities with senior leadership.
- 1 April (Dogu Beach, Training Ranges) - Light Armored Reconnaissance and Artillery landing, MV-22 vertical assault.
- 2 April (Training Ranges) - Urban warfare training, MV-22 Osprey vertical assault.
- 3 April (Dogu Beach) - Tank landing.
- 4 April (Training Ranges) - Tank and infantry integration, Australian forces raid.
Media interested in attending these training events and activities should e-mail their name(s), KID number/passport number, and name of employing media to Capt Cassandra Gesecki at Cassandra.firstname.lastname@example.org and Capt Caleb Eames at email@example.com no later than March 27.