III Marine Expeditionary Force Band



As the Eastern Hemisphere’s sole musical representative of the United States Marine Corps, the III MEF Band enjoys a busy schedule filled with performances across Okinawa and throughout the Far East each year.  The band capitalizes on this unique position by making it a priority to present community outreach performances and participating in international military band festivals in South Korea, Tokyo, and Kumamoto, Japan.  Consisting of musicians trained in a variety of musical styles, the III MEF Band is able to provide a number of small ensembles for civilian events, including brass and woodwind quintets, jazz combo, rock band, and brass band. 

To reserve the band for an event, please visit and proceed to fill out a request form.

If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Marine Musician, visit the Marine Enlistment Option Program (MEOP) website at If you would like to learn more about joining, you can contact a Marine Recruiter at

 This is an official U.S. Marine Corps web site. However, the appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsements by the U.S. Marine Corps. The U.S. Marine Corps does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at linked locations.      




Contact Us

From Japan:

DSN: 645-3919

From a Cell Phone: 098-970-3919

FAX: 645-7786


From United States:

Phone Number: 011-81-98-970-3919

Fax: 011-81-611-745-7786


Mailing Address:


UNIT 35601

FPO AP 96382



Collapse All Expand All

Yes. All Marines, with the exception of the United States Marine Band (The President's Own), are required to attend boot camp at either Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, CA, or Parris Island, SC, for 13 weeks.

While a college degree in music is not a prerequisite for the potential Marine Musician, previous playing experience is a must. Each individual candidate must pass a field audition before enlisting with our MOS of 5524.

Contact your local recruiter to set up an audition and interview with your regional Music Technical Assistant (MTA).

Yes. You have the option to use your personal instrument, however you will be issued an instrument when you report to the School of Music as well as when you report to your assigned band.

No. Once you finish Boot Camp and MCT, you will go to the Naval School of Music in Norfolk, Virginia. There, you will study music theory and ear training, as well as practice playing in various musical groups such as concert band, drill band, and different jazz ensembles.