III MEF Family Evacuation Plan - Frequently Asked Questions

How likely is an evacuation?
While possible for various reasons, the likelihood of an evacuation is extremely low.

WHO MUST EVACUATE? Who is eligible for a military assistance during an evacuation?
When directed, all DoD affiliated non-emergency essential civilian personnel, to include invited contractors and their SOFA status family members, are eligible for evacuation. This includes all American Citizens, living or visiting on Okinawa and Depart of State designated third country nationals

Who can I contact if I have additional questions? Is there an information hotline?
While there is not a hotline, each service has its own representatives to assist you in your preparation for the potential of an evacuation.
o Marine Corps: Family Readiness Officer
o Air Force and Army: assigned Warden
o Navy: Evacuation Preparedness Officer

Where should I keep my Evacuation Information Packet? Does it get turned into the unit?
Keep the Evacuation Information Packet in a safe location in your residence where it can be easily accessed.  It will be turned into evacuation personnel after you are shuttled to the Evacuation Control Center from the rallying point.

What if I can’t fill out my Evacuation Information Packet or I forget to bring it during an evacuation?
Having a completed or partially completed Evacuation Information Packet prior to an evacuation will aid in a smooth transition, however it will not prevent you from evacuating.  Even bringing a blank copy of all the forms will be beneficial. There will be opportunities to complete the packet at the Evacuation Control Centers if necessary as well as extra copies of the forms.

What happens to my children if I am a single parent/we are dual military/one of us is military and the other essential personnel and we are both required to remain on Okinawa during an evacuation?
A power of attorney should be filled out authorizing the children to be escorted by a legal guardian during an evacuation. You should also keep and updated Family Care Plan.

Will my FRO or warden still be providing information during an evacuation?
While both FROs and wardens can provide basic guidance about the preparation and planning. Once the evacuation begins, the FRO will no longer be available since they are nonessential personnel; however wardens will remain involved through the evacuation process. Updated information and guidance will be available through the approved media sources listed on the website and video. Also, personnel will be stationed at the rallying points to answer questions.

Can I have a carry-on item in addition to my 66lb suitcase?
Yes, bear in mind that carry-on items will probably be limited. Consider general rules of carry-on items for an airline such as overhead storage or under the seat in front of you.

Does my Emergency Readiness Kit count towards my 66lb suitcase?
Only those items you wish to carry on the plane or ship back to the United States (important documents, medications, diapers, etc) will be included in the weight consideration.

What happens once I reach the United States?
You will arrive in a repatriation site where you will be processed through the same tracking system as in Okinawa. There will be representatives to answer any further questions you may have. From there you will be transported to your final destination. Please keep in mind that this is normally your home of record. Certain locations such as Hawaii and cities outside of the U.S. will require special justification or proof of residency.

While you will receive a ticket to your final destination, you will be responsible for the cost of transporting your pet from the repatriation site to your final destination.

Upon arriving at the repatriation site during an ordered evacuation, you and your family will be eligible for a safe haven allowance for 30 days to 6 months depending on the situation.

Is my family entitled to any money to help the transition back to the United States?
While completely optional, DD form 1337 (military sponsor) or DD form 2461 (civilian sponsor) needs to be properly filled out to receive any advance on the service members pay or allowances.  Circumstances will dictate if an advance is authorized. Please note that this amount will be taken out of future paychecks.

Upon reaching the U.S., each evacuated family member, including children, will be entitled to a safe haven allowance for up to 30 days, which can be extended up to 6 months. This allowance is in addition to normal pay.

Do I need to take the advanced pay?
It is optional, but will be taken out of the sponsor’s future pay. The safe haven allowance is not associated with the sponsor’s pay.

What happens to my car, housing, and household goods if we are not allowed to return to Okinawa?
If possible, household items will be recovered and shipped to you. DD Form 1701 Inventory of Household Goods (or a copy of the detailed list of household goods from your last PCS move) must be filled out completely in order to file a claim for lost/damaged or unrecoverable property if your goods cannot be recovered.  It is recommended that you have photographs of the more valuable items to assist in reimbursement for lost items.

Your EIP should include proper documentation for your vehicle(s). This includes titles, registrations, proofs of insurance and proofs of ownership. It is recommended to keep copies of these documents with your Evacuation Information Packet in the event that you are unable to access your car prior to evacuating.

I am overwhelmed by this information and/or the forms, what should I do?
Take a deep breath and relax.  Your service or command representative can help in your planning and preparations prior to an evacuation. If you prepare now, you will have less to do or think about in the event of an evacuation.

[Updated 05 Dec 2017]